SOPHIE’S CHOICE Have the Happiest New Year
Hello there Mary Morony’s Blog Readers – I’m Sophie, and I’m a dog. (See photo below for my adorable face)
First of all, you should know that my brother Hagar and I love to write blogs on Mary’s website see Dog With a Beef as an example. There are a whole bunch more. Most of all, Dog Blogs are the BEST blogs, so she asked us to do something topical and tell people what our New Year’s Resolutions were for 2017.
Honestly, Hagar and I don’t feel like we need to make too many changes. It’s funny that you humans work so hard to come up with this list of things every year just before you take the tree out of the house. What is up with that a tree in the house, anyway?! Humans have the strangest traditions. They treat the beginning of the year as an excuse to vow to exercise more, eat less, save money and so on. Why don’t they just do that year round if it’s so darned important? Hagar tells me all of the time that we’ll never understand humans, so why try? I think he’s right. But I digress. Back to the resolutions.
He and I were talking the other day and decided we didn’t need to resolve to change anything, but we had some suggestions for Mary. Just two suggestions, otherwise she’s perfect. We would like her WRITE LESS, freeing up more time for walks. That segues perfectly into the second thing we would like her to do, WALK MORE. Then our otherwise perfect life would be even more perfect.
And that’s all I have to say about that
Everybody is jumping on the 2016-was-a-terrible-year bandwagon. I thought I would list a few of the terrific things that happened last year that you might not be aware of while reminding you to look forward to an even more fabulous 2017!
Terrific things that happened in 2016
- New chemotherapy breakthroughs have increased the 5-year survival for pancreatic cancer from 16% to 27%. That’s amazing!
- Scientists figured out how to link robotic limbs with the part of the brain that deals with intent to move, so people don’t have to think about how they will move the limb, it can just happen. How cool is that??
- Thanks to the “ice bucket challenge,” the gene responsible for ALS has been found, meaning we are closer to an effective treatment.
- Michael Jordan donated 2 million dollars to try and help bridge connection between police and the community. MLK Jr would be proud.
- Tiger numbers are growing. AND manatees. AND pandas! Sensational news for the animal world.
After years facing adversity and near-extinction,
23 giant pandas were born in 2016.
70,000 Muslim clerics declared a fatwa against ISIS.
- California is now powering over 6 million homes with solar power, a record in the US. GO Cally!!
- Volunteers in India planted 50 million trees in 24 hours.
- 500 elephants were relocated to a better, safer and bigger home.
- We made massive strides in Alzheimers’ prevention.
- The ozone layer is repairing itself, and all the work we did to get rid of those aerosol chemicals was actually worth it.
- Death by heart disease has decreased by 70% in the United States. That’s massive!
- Harriet Tubman is going to replace old misogynist Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill. That is a very wonderful if small symbolic step forward.
- Bank firm pays for college tuition for the children of employees who died in the 9/11 attacks.
I honestly could go on and on. These are only a small fraction of the great things that happened in 2016. Sometimes, I know it may be difficult to be positive but don’t ever say you have no reason to be. We ALL do. We’ll make 2017 even better. Have a happy New Year!