Folks think makin’ yo’ own sausage is hard t’ do. It ain’t not’in t’ it, if ya got ya a fresh hog kilt. If ya doan you can buy fresh ground pork an’ gonne from der. Make sure it’s been ground dat day. It gotta be fresh. In de Mackey household can’t have sausage wit’out fried apples so I’m giving you dat recipe too.
- 2 lbs fresh lean pork
- 1 lb. of good quality lard or pork fat
- 3 finger pinch of sage
- pinch or two of pepper flakes
- pinch of nutmeg
- 2 good pinches salt
- speck of pepper
- ½ bay leaf crushed good
- Grind pork and lard together. Add spices and regrind. Make int’ patties an’ fry in a skillet til good an’ brown on one side turn an’ brown on t’ de ot’er.
- ½ dozen green cooking apples
- ½-1 handful o’ sugar depending on taste
- speck ground nutmeg
- Big pinch cinnamon
I don’t peel apples my apples at home but de chil’ren like ’em peeled You can suit yo’ self. Slice and put de apples in skillet after cooking sausage if dere’s too much grease pour some off. You want t’ cook de apples in de sausage grease. Cook covered fo’ ’bout five minutes t’o get apples cooked. Stir in cinnamon an’ nutmeg. Dey is done when de apples is soft but still hold der shape