Hi, it’s me, Hagar, the dog with the blog, right? Bet you knew. What you didn’t know is I care about my peeps’ happiness. When I say “peeps,” I mean every single reader of my blog. With so much time on my hands/paws these days I started to wonder, do you guys have any idea how happy works?
For a dog, being happy is what we do, like our default. Keeping things simple is the key. A liver snap now and again, a nap, a few walks, a poop, and a scratch behind the ears are all it takes. With the basics, most dogs are happy guys.
The reason I started to wonder is because humans get all squinty eyed, and the corners of their mouths droop downward, all hangdog (what an oxymoronic expression!) If you had a long tail like me, there is a good chance I’d find it tucked between your legs. Why so unhappy?
Stuff can make life hard for sure! But most unhappiness comes from your thinking, your behavior, and your habits. Rather than use my brainpower to figure you, folks out, I think I’ll give you some advice and let you connect the dots.
One of the many things we dogs notice in our people is they aren’t quite sure about their yesses and noes. Of course, when I bark in the middle of the night, Mary is pretty darn clear about the “NO!” In fact, anytime Sophie and I are having some real fun, the “no’s” are dished out with loud abundance, but I digress. Where was I?
When you say “no” to new opportunities, you think you are keeping your little-old-selves safe. Failures or rejections aren’t a worry, and most of all you can dodge change. But if you say “yes,” your life can expand, deepen and open to all kinds of new possibilities. With all this time in the house, I decided to use some of it to make a list for you.
Whenever possible say YES to:
- Being imperfect embrace your warts! Trying to be perfect is crazy making. Besides you are the perfect version of you. Perfectionism is an eroding mindset feeding on you and your joy.
- Being true to who you are! Changing for others or censoring yourself stinks and is a no win life strategy. Talk about putting up a no fun allowed here sign! If you can’t be you around the people in your life, I’m telling you -find some new friends. You say your family is critical, well limit the time, you spend with them. In case you didn’t know time is your life, right? Don’t waste it.
- Accentuating the positive! Pessimism is one ugly trap, not one I would want to put my foot in. Before you know it, you can be well on your way to there is no point in trying because it won’t make a difference or you’ll just fail. As the song goes, “Accentuate the positive. Eliminate the negative and don’t hold on to Mr. In-between.” Not a bad song to listen to daily. Here’s the link.
- Remembering life is a gift! The fastest way to forget this fact is to listen to your negative “self-talk.” Your inner critic is standing in the way of your contentment. I understand sometimes the inner voice can be noisy shouting how stupid you are ad nauseam.
- Forgiving starts with you! After you let yourself off whatever hooking you invented to hang on, forgive everybody else in your life. Staying angry with someone is like eating bad meat and expecting the person you are mad at to have a stomachache.
- Making someone else happy like I do. Instead of wagging a tale give someone a smile. Practice a random act of kindness. You get back what you put out. Someone’s face lighting up is only the beginning sort of like dropping a rock in the water and watching the ripples. They keep on rippling.
- Laughing, hard, loud and often most important of all laugh at yourself!
Since all you’ve got to do is to try the above and happy is easy peasy. Shucks, say yes to one of these things and then wait for the magic. Live your life to the fullest every day – despite politics. Read my blogs. Remember to embrace change.
That’s all I’ve got to say for now.