Chil’ren Love Ethel’s Ambrosia
When Miz Ginny goes out, de chil’ren beg me t’ make dis here salad. Dey love all o’ dis sweet fruits all mixed up with whipped cream. It so easy I don’t mind at’ll. Once I served it to Miz Ginny an’ she didn’t think it was half bad, though she say she’d like it more if it weren’t so sweet an’ could I make it with fresh fruit? I like de sweet myself. I say I could make it wit’ fresh fruit but it would more like a salad. Dis here is meant t’ be dessert.
- 1 11 oz can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 20 oz can crushed pineapple, drained
- 10 oz jar maraschino cherries, drained, halved, and patted dry
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 1/2 cup homemade whipped cream
- ¾ cup chopped pecans (optional)
Mix it all up toget’er an’ put in de icebox t’ cool. When you is ready t’ serve you ken whip up de cream and fold it all together. Sometimes at home, I make dis wit’ three boxes o’ lemon jello leavin’ out de three cups of water. Me an’ Early jest love it.